Sight, Speech, Hearing
- New Entrants are tested. You will be contacted if there are problems.
When your child becomes sick or hurt at school
- Accidents and illness are recorded in our Accident Register.
- We contact whanau if a student has a bump to the head, although sometimes we have to leave a message.
- Our office staff have current, basic First Aid certificates.
- If hospital treatment is needed, parents/caregivers are contacted to take the child to hospital
if you are not available, the child is taken by a staff member.
- Please do send beautiful healthy lunches to school with your children.
- These can include sandwiches, fresh and dried fruit, raw vegetables, crackers.
- Please fill drink bottles with water, which is a healthy choice for an active day.
- Children sit down for lunch between 12.30pm and 12.40pm. They can continue eating after that time.
Karori West Normal School is a smoke-free school,
in our buildings and our grounds!
We are a SunSmart School
- Staff and students are encouraged to use sunscreen, seek shade and cover up as appropriate when outside during Terms 1 and 4. This is when UV radiation is most intense.
- We expect all students and staff to wear a wide-brimmed hat or bucket hat.
- Our school's SunSmart policy passes the Cancer Society's criteria for SunSmart Schools accreditation and means we are teaching our students important sun safety behaviours and knowledge.
- For more information on skin cancer prevention please visit: www.sunsmartschools.org.nz
- Instructions are available from the school or your chemist.
- Please let the school know if your child has headlice.
- Any child can catch them.
- Bee Healthy dental clinic can be contacted on 0800 TALK TEETH (0800 825583).
- Our local hub is Selby House, 175A Adelaide Rd, Newtown.
- Please name all clothing (including the sunhat) so that we can return lost items to you quickly.
- Please send your child to school in sneakers or comfortable sandals for fitness or Physical Education.
- The Lost Property is located outside the Work Room. in the office area.